Sunday, November 21, 2010

Drama Geek

Steve recently talked to Alexa about learning another sport. If you know us well, you know that soccer is our sport here in the Rain family. Steve told her that he would be willing to teach her basketball or volleyball. Alexa was adamant about her blunders in basketball and had no real interest in pursuing it. As far as volleyball, she again had very little interest. Last year she ran for track and really enjoyed that and looks forward to running again this upcoming year. With soccer, track and tap, we felt that Alexa was getting her fill of activities and becoming "well-rounded." So we were surprised when she shared her interest in joining Literary. Literary is more like Drama and less like Speech. However, they sell it to the parents as a Speech Club. I was concerned about it interfering with school work. After all, a lot of memorization would be involved. But we saw a genuine interest and couldn't say no to this new experience.



Could she remember her lines? Would she have stage fright and completely implode? Was she that courageous? Would she soon decide it was not what she thought it would be? Obviously, these were my fears and concerns and not hers. With that, we encouraged her, all the while waiting for her to drop. Steve and I took turns taking her to school before her first class and picking her up after school had long let out, still waiting for her to tell us she didn't want to do it anymore. It was just a matter of time, right? Time passed quickly (as it seems to do) and Alexa reminded me that her competition was coming up.



On the day of the contest, Alexa was nervous. I dropped her off at school where she was going to ride the school bus to the competition. I was to meet her there. I arrived with cameras in hand and waited. When Alexa and her partner were called up to perform, my stomach flip-flopped. My hands shook as I set the camera to record. I had not heard any of her lines. This was her "baby" and I wasn't asked to help. :( So I sat there and was surprisingly entertained. I laughed...she was funny. My mouth quivered...she was good. My fears were not hers. She did it...from start to finish.



Notice how good she is delivering "attitude." A lot of practice went into that. :[




UNFORTUNATELY THE VIDEO WOULD NOT UPLOAD AFTER TWO HOURS OF LOADING.



They placed first in their category. A couple of weeks later I received a call from the literary instructor who praised Alexa's performance. She went on saying how impressed she was knowing that it was Alexa's first year. She informed me that they would be having a Drama club next year and would be performing a forty-five minute play, would Alexa be interested. She also said that she thinks she may have the next up-and-coming star. hehehehe. She probably says that to everybody. ;)



Anyways, kudos to you, Alexa. Thanking God for all of your talents and interests. Keep reaching for those stars (I know, pretty dramatic huh?). FYI, Steve and I met in our drama class our senior year. Kinda funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment