Tuesday, November 9, 2010

In Case You Didn't Get The Memo



We finally agreed that Aleyah's name would be spelled Alayah. Yippee! I have been thinking about it for months. Her name was constantly pronounced Uh-Lee-Uh (which I think is a pretty name, but it's just not her name). It posed some awkwardness at the doctor's office. For example, when she had a visit to the dentist, she was known as Uh-lee-uh. I talked to Steve about it and he said that it didn't matter how we spelled it, people would still mess it up. True.

You know what's funny and a little weird? I prayed about it. That is how stressed I was about the spelling of her name. When I would type her name in an e-mail, it would always correct my spelling with Aliyah. The spell check thought I was trying to spell Uh-lee-uh. Earlier today I called to set up an appointment for preschool screening. I was totally prepared to spell her name with an "a" instead of an "e". When the woman on the other end asked her name, she spelled it with an "a" and I said, "Yep." That gave me confidence about my decision (and maybe an answer to my prayer). I called Steve and told him that I wanted to go with an "a". He said, "Sounds good to me." I felt GREAT about it! It really is hard to explain, but I really felt a bit of finality with it all. If people still get it wrong, I will have to correct them without them looking at me like I have a third eye.
So why did we spell it with an "e"? We thought since Alexa was spelled with an "e" we could do the same with Aleyah. I guess it doesn't work that way. So I am happy to introduce you to

A-L-A-Y-A-H Derartu Rain

No comments:

Post a Comment