Friday, October 11, 2013

Becoming Me: The Younger Years Part 4



If you're interested in background music for this post, click play.

We moved into our little bungalow.  This is where many of my memories come from. This little house was situated with several other little houses.  These houses were called duplexes, however they were not attached duplexes.  The first duplex we lived in was a one bedroom.  Here is a photo of my dad taking a much needed break after work on the front step of duplex number one.  What I love about this photo is the guitar sitting next to him.  During these early years, it was always a can of beer and his guitar.  My dad taught himself how to play.  It was definitely a stress relief after a long day at work.

 
Many of the following photos are from this little house.
 
 My dad getting ready for a long haul drive.  My dad landed a job as a truck driver.
 
 
Me sitting on the counter top that separated the kitchen and the living room. This photo shows the infamous entrance that took me and my mother on a little discipline adventure.
 
 
 One memory that I love to share with my kids is the time I thought I could escape a belt whipping.  I don't even remember the offense I caused, but whatever it was, it was bad enough for the belt!  Back in my time, punishment was taken care of by a couple of swats with a leather belt strap.  Knowing what was coming, I thought I could run for it.  Our little house had one single bathroom that had two doors.  One door exited into a laundry room which then followed into the kitchen.  The other bathroom door exited into the single bedroom which then followed into the living room.  In my little brain, I thought it would be no problem to dash my punishment.  And so the race was on!  I took off through the kitchen and then through the laundry room with my mom and that leather belt close behind.  I entered the bathroom and slammed the door shut.  But my mom was too strong, maybe it was all the pent up anger inside,  that door didn't stay shut for long.  And so, I made a mad dash to the other bathroom door and slammed it behind me entering the bedroom.  My heart was no doubt pounding madly when the doorknob turned and the door swung open.  I dashed through the living room and entered the kitchen and back through the laundry room until I was safe behind the bathroom door once again.  As you can probably guess, I continued in circles with my mom behind me.  But I was no match for her.  She wised up and stopped in her tracks and waited for me to turn the corner.  Once I rounded the corner, I had no where to run but right smack into that belt!! 
 
She sent me to bed.  I remember my body convulsing with each sob.  I cried hard and good until my energy left me.  I eventually drifted off to sleep.  When I awoke, I was greeted by a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on Wonder bread.  The aroma and sweet taste of my lunch erased all memory of my recent whipping.  It was at this moment that my mother and I reconciled our discrepancy.  And all was good with the world again.
 
 
 
 Sipping on some fluids with my dad.
 
 
Posing for the camera with my dad.
 
 
Notice the little Avon pin on my strap.  This one probably had lip balm in the secret trap door in back.  Loved those things!!
 
 
 
Me with my Aunt Marcy modeling matching outfits that my mother sewed for us.
 
A picture of me on my birthday.  Not sure why I wasn't smiling.  By the looks of the brush next to me, my head was probably throbbing with pain.
 
 Playing with my best friend.  At least I think we were playing.  We fought a lot too, so that could also be happening here.


Definitely playing and having a great time splashing in the pool with the Bestie.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment