I couldn't tell you for certain how many times my parents separated and got back together. They were young and understandably selfish. What youngin' isn't? My dad in particular had a bit of a wild side. My mother tells me that he occupied a lot of his time with his buddies and that was one of the biggest reasons for the break-ups and make-ups.
At the time of my second birthday, my parents were not together. During this separation, my dad would stop by and leave my mom some money and love on me for a few minutes before he was off doing his own thing (he wasn't allowed in the house so all the lovin' was at the front door). After some time, my dad was beginning to miss us. He must have asked for a "do over" many times and my mom said 'no' just as many times.
My birthday was coming up, I was going to be two-years old and my mother and one of my aunts organized a birthday party for me. My dad was not invited. Apparently my dad stopped by at his parents house (my grandparents) and they were getting ready for the day. My dad asked where they were going and they told him that they were going to my party. My dad was hurt that he was not invited. It's my understanding that my grandparents gave him a "talking to" about his responsibilities before leaving to the party.
The party festivities began. Lots of friends and family were there celebrating with me. It was a great party with piñata, food and games. I wore a red plaid pantsuit that was a hand-me-down. I must admit, I made that hand-me-down look cute! When I receive the photo taken of that day, I will post it here.
Not long into the party, all heads turned as a Harley Davidson rumbled through the park parking lot. It was my dad. My dad had long hair at the time. That was the thing back then. It was the early 1970s and the hippie look was still very popular. My dad peeled himself off of his bike and all eyes turned to my mother. What would happen? What would unfold? Lucky for my dad, my mom was smitten my his presence. After all, who doesn't look cool on a Harley Davidson?!
After the party, my mother and I climbed up on his bike (car seats were not required back then) and headed off into the sunset!
We moved into a little one bedroom bungalow where many more adventures would begin.
Me, around two and a half years old


No comments:
Post a Comment