Friday, June 25, 2010
We left Hannahs Hope and headed back to the hotel. The ride went well. Derartu sat on my lap and looked out the window with a content expression. Once inside our room we sat on the floor and did our best to get acquainted. We brought toys with us and showed her a few of them. I was eager to get her into some new clothes but didn't want to hurry her out of her clothes from Hannah's Hope. I had read somewhere that some children have a difficult time adjusting and prefer to keep their old clothes on, sometimes for the entire week. Well I thought I would at least show her an outfit or two and a pair of shoes. When I opened up the suitcase and pulled out a striped top and jeans she smiled and quickly pulled her dirty shirt over her head. She had no problem stepping into new clothes. The best treat though, were her shoes. We wouldn't know just how much she appreciated them until we went to bed that night. Derartu did not want to take her shoes off when it was time to sleep. So she slept with them...for three nights! When we received her referral we were told that she had a fungus on all of her toes. Probably from walking in barefeet. Hannah's Hope did provide a pair of flip flops for her. By the time we got to her, the fungus was cleared up. But I realized that a pair of shoes was probably not something she owned. The entire time we were there she never took off her shoes. I did sneak them off on the third night while she was sleeping so that I could slip on a pair of fresh socks. It truly was humbling to see her enjoy clothes. As a matter of fact, she was more interested in clothes than many of the toys we brought.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment