So, hello!
It has been two weeks since being back in the states. We are so happy to be back and so blessed to live in this country. Our experience in Ethiopia was not so good. Some of you may have received an e-mail describing our experience. For those of you who did not, I will give a detailed account of our time in Addis Ababa. (I'm still working on photos, so those will come later).
The journey to Addis was very long. I haven't tallied the hours, but it was a bit over thirty hours due to some delays and whatnot. When we arrived at Dulles in Washington D.C., we hung out for over ten hours. We found a private seating area where we felt would be a good place to "campout." Unfortunately, at two-o-clock in the morning, the cleaning crew rules. We tried to sleep, in upright positions I might add, only to awake to floor cleaners zipping by and the occasional grunts from the employees. We watched the clock slowly tick before making our way to our gate. It did not take long to realize that Ethiopian Airlines overbooked. They were asking for volunteers to give up their seats for $400 vouchers. Well this caused a big ruckus and added to our wait time. There was a woman who was told she would no longer be boarding the plane due to overbooking. Well, this lady was not having any of that. She proceeded to argue about the promise that was made to her about boarding this flight. The scene continued for quite some time and eventually, security was called. No joke, it was like an episode of Airlines (one of many reality shows we have watched when absolutely nothing else is on TV). We lost another hour, but eventually boarded the plane. We were very excited and at the same time a bit nervous about the long flight. It was about nine hours to Rome, where we sat for fueling and waited for a new crew to board. About an hour later, we were off again, for another five hours. We arrived in Addis Ababa and the moment we exited the plane, the nightmare began.
Before I continue, I must say that Ethiopia and its people are very welcoming. Our experience is only one of many. There are many positives that did not go unnoticed. I will include both the good and the bad.
When we exited the plane and entered the terminal, I was confronted with one of many mini anxiety attacks. I don't know why I freaked. I just did. The air was very still and warm. There was a distinct odor that engulfed me. I can't describe this odor at all, but it was unfamiliar to me. My stomach decided now would be a good time to twist and turn in agony. We were standing in line for immigration and I started to sweat profusly. I stood there contemplating on finding a restroom. I looked at Steve with definite tears in my eyes and told him I couldn't make it through this line. He was of course very annoyed to step out of line, but probably more annoyed with my sudden sickness. This was not the time or place to get sick. We stepped out of line and found a restroom. Unfortunately, there was a line. Steve saw the terror on my face and motioned me over to the men's restroom. Truly. There was a gentleman in there washing his hands. I walked passed him to the stall and realized there was no seat on the comode. I rushed back out and thought I would take my chances with the line. While standing there waiting for my turn I wondered what that man thought the moment he saw me walk into the men's restroom. He no doubt thought I was some crazy indecent American lady. I would apologize, but at that moment desperation got the best of me...I finally get my turn to use the only toilet in the women's restroom, only to see there was no seat on this comode either. :( Desperation gave me instant courage. I calmed myself down, got back in the immigration line and finally made our way to our friendly but shy driver, Johannes...
...to be continued
No comments:
Post a Comment