Thursday, May 17, 2012

Grandma Leslie

Things have been non-stop here.  We had three out-of-state visits, two deaths and a long vacation in California within the past seven months.  In between all of that, we've been traveling for soccer.  It has been busy and has caused for many reflections.  Many, many reflections.

Steve's grandmother left to be with Christ this past September.  I think this post will be about Grandma Leslie.

Where do I begin?  Perhaps I should start by saying that she was a very fine woman. She welcomed me from the very beginning.  It didn't take long before I referred to her as my grandma.  How blessed I am to have known her and to have had her be an extension of my very own family.  That is truly a gift. 

It is not easy being an outsider making your way through another family.  It's not easy at all.  As a matter of fact, it's mostly awkward.  But Grandma Leslie always made me feel comfortable.  She and Grandpa opened their home to us and gave us a glimpse into their life and the love they had for one another. 

Grandma was not one to sit around and watch the grass grow.  She was always on the move and very much involved with her community and church.  Grandma was both intelligent and crafty.  The home she shared with her love (our Grandpa) was always decorated with many beautiful things.  Yes, I would even say it had a museum quality.  There were so many artsy pieces to feast your eyes on.  Even though every room was decorated with artwork, her home was very comfortable.  Maybe it was her presence that brought so much comfort to the house.






Alexa and her cousin working on a skit for the family.






The above picture is Grandma and Alexa at age three.  Below you will see Grandma continuing the lesson with Alexa at age eight.




Alexa always had a fun time playing in the pool at Great Grandma's and Great Grandpa's house. A long day in the pool meant a restful night for Miss Canon Ball.



My first treasure I received from Grandma was a crocheted blanket given to me for a wedding gift, eighteen years ago. The blanket was given to us, but you can ask anyone here and they will tell you it's my blanket. Here is Alexa reading next to Grandma's blanket.




When Alexa was eight years old, we made a visit to Arizona where Grandpa and Grandma live. Alexa received a porcelain doll that Grandma had made (one of many dolls in Grandma's collection). Alexa felt really special and to this day has the doll in a very safe place. Recently, after Grandma's passing, Grandpa sent the girls more dolls to keep in remembrance of Great Grandma.



Many grandmas are crafty, Grandma Leslie was not only crafty but SPUNKY too! One of my favorite memories is when Grandma took Alexa and I on a golf cart ride. You see, I was expecting a leisurely ride through the golf course that ran behind their house. Grandma was NOT about to take us on that leisurely ride I had imagined. She gunned the gas as we went for one WILD ride!! She careened through the turns laughing like a teenage schoolgirl dodging rabbits while I gripped onto anything that would keep me in the cart! There were more than a couple of times that I thought we would tip the cart over!  But Grandma had it under control. We giggled at her playful spirit as we bounced along. We made it back, I'm sure with wind-blown hair, but we made it back and that adventurous ride has never left my memory. 

Below is a picture of the trail Grandma zipped through on her speedy golf cart.




Grandma stopped just long enough for me to take a picture of the pond.





One more picture of the back of the house while touring the golf course.



Steve and Grandma.




 What I loved most about Grandma, is the interest she had for Steve, Alexa and myself (and Alayah when she came along.  Sadly, she was never able to meet Alayah.). She wanted to really know us. She wanted to see where we lived.  While visiting other family members in Illinois they made a two hour trip to see our home. That meant so much to Steve and I.   It's not everyday that we get visits from family. So that was truly special.  Below is a family photo at our house.





Years later they were in Illinois for another visit with Grandma's daughter.  Grandma and Grandpa invited us over!  They didn't have to.  They could have spent their time with their other loved ones, but they called for us.  Do you know how important that made us feel?  It didn't take much thought before we were on the road to see Grandma and Grandpa. The time and effort she made for us demonstrated her love for us.  Not only did she love her grandson, but she loved me too.  An outsider.  She accepted me into her life and I allowed her into mine.  And because of that, I have been truly blessed to have known her.

I will see you again, Grandma.


                                   
 



No comments:

Post a Comment