Leaves and Trees
What better way to learn about leaves and trees but to go on a nature walk!
With camera in hand, plastic envelope for our collections and of course binoculars, we set out for a great day of exploring. Little did I know, it would be more eventful than I planned!
In the above picture, across the street next to the fire hydrant, is a medium-sized dog. At the time of this picture, I didn't realize we were being stalked! (Click on picture for a better view.) We took a few more pictures out in our front yard and then headed on our way to the ponds (about a block away from our house are two small ponds).
As we headed down our street, Mangy Dog scampered to our side. Alayah says nervously, "That dog is following us." I tell her to keep walking and ignore it. All the while, flashbacks of my childhood of stray dogs chasing me all the way to school run through my mind. Mangy Dog was literally a few feet away when he decided to give us a few warnings by barking rather ferociously. Trying to keep my cool, I walk on. Alayah jogs a bit to catch up to me. Mangy Dog trots a bit faster and continues to bark making sure we are aware of his canines. "Alayah, stop running. Just walk and ignore him" I say, as calmly as I can fake. At this time I grab a couple of good sized stones in a nearby flowerbed. Thinking, if David could take out Goliath, I could certainly take out Mangy Dog!
We make eye contact and I shout, "NO!" It works with my dog, so why not give it a try? Mangy Dog continues to growl and bark, inching closer and closer. So much for my attempt to scare the beast. I look at him again and think he's quite ugly, resembling a hyena. I grip the stones a bit tighter, one in each hand. Do I throw them? Chances are it would only anger him and see us even more as a threat and attack! My camera swings back and forth and I think, if I have to, I'll just give him a good beating with my Canon. And then I realize how stupid that would be, considering I love my camera too much. We stand our ground and continue to walk down the street. Mangy Dog obviously sees this as a victory and lets us escape. Alayah and I take a peek back and see that we are finally in the clear. Relieved that I didn't have to go MMA on him, my heartbeat slows to a normal pace and my grip on the stones loosen a bit. I hold on to them though, just in case.
We continue on our walk, only this time it's with more confidence. I didn't back down. I didn't run. I didn't scream like a little girl. I held my own. Smiling now, we make our way to our destination and I think, 'this is going to be a good day!'
And it is.
The small trail that reminded Alayah of Ethiopia
Home of the beaver family
On our way home we stopped at the playground for a little monkey business
Since the weather was so nice, we continued the rest of our school day out on the porch!
A souvenir of our Mangy Dog adventure! Happy Adventures to you and yours!

No comments:
Post a Comment