My six-year-old makes her bed a lot more often than the teenager does (Bless her heart). Unfortunately, the bed does not always cooperate. The bedskirt for one, has a mind of its own. Morning after morning the bedskirt slides further and further down to the ground until most of it finds its way under the bed!! That can be frustrating, even more so for a six-year-old. Feeling sorry for her (maybe not so much that, but more the need to have the bed made perfectly), I would make it for her. So that it looks like this:
Obviously, when encouraging a six-year old to make their bed, you have to keep yourself from doing it for them. So on with the "bed making wrestling match" for my daughter.
One morning, I saw that the bedskirt was once again puddling on the floor. Once again, I lift up the mattress and wrestle with the bedskirt. Then I got to thinking. How can I keep this bed skirt from sliding all over the place (Because this bedskirt battle was really putting a damper on my rah, rah, mood!)?
Almost immediately, Velcro, popped into my mind. Oh, my, golly, why hadn't I thought of that before! I just so happened to have a strip of Velcro (the kind that has a sticky adhesive). I cut the Velcro into eight strips, placing four strips on each side of the box spring. I then positioned the bed skirt to the length I wanted it to hang and then stuck the other half of the Velcro onto the backside of the skirt. (FYI, bedskirt pins are available at various stores but they are not so easy to find. Also, many reviews claim that the pins rip the bedskirt.)
(I only had black Velcro. The positive of that is it's a lot more visible, making it a bit easier to explain)
The result? That bedskirt has not moved in over a month!! Many mornings, I walk by my daughters room and shake my head at the crumpled mess of blankets atop her bed. Two seconds later, I grin triumphantly at the well behaved bed skirt and think to myself...one battle at a time, one battle at a time. ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment