Saturday, July 6, 2013

Mystery Jar

Summer time is always a highly anticipated season in our home.  We haven't done too many family vacations (we hope to plan more in the future), but we always seem to make our summers memorable.

I mentioned being somewhat of a book lover.  It doesn't really matter what type of book it is.  I love old books, new books, homemade books, journal books...you get the idea. Anyway, I am in no short supply of books.  Here are just a few (one puny little shelf of resource books). 


 
I have accumulated many resource books since the age of eighteen. Knowing me, I will get way off topic, so I will just briefly mention that at the age of eighteen, I got my very first "real" job at a preschool/daycare.   And so began my book fetish!
 
I love fresh, new ideas.  And books, along with the internet, Pinterest especially, are a great place to find new ideas.
 
A few years back, we were at Barnes and Noble (probably to quiet my book withdrawals). I spotted an idea book. I told my husband that I wanted to get it.  He looked at me with that, "Why?" expression.  I said, with much elation, "It's only ten dollars!" We walked out with the book. When we got home, I flipped through the pages, highlighted some cool ideas and never opened the book again.  Probably the reason Steve gave me the "Why?" look.
 
Summer 2013, we start off BUSY.  We end the school year with a soccer regional championship win. My mother-in-law comes out for a visit; recital week follows.  The following week, the kids are enjoying activities at VBS. The week after that we drive down to Tennessee for some summer fun. And then finally, things come to a screeching halt.  I promise, I'm not complaining...At. All.
 
I don't know about you, but I feel like summer is flying by!  Wanting to make the rest of our summer memorable, I open up the ten dollar book.
 
 
The first idea I find, we do.  Nighttime picnic. 
 

We grilled some burgers at 9:00 pm (it doesn't get dark until 9:00!).  We listened to music and ate at our "picnic" table, laughing and talking about how cool it was to eat so late, in the dark!  After our meal, Steve and the girls got in the pool, splashed around and played tag, while I cleaned up our mess.  After pool time, we climbed in the trampoline and stargazed while the crickets chirped and frogs croaked.  At about 10:30, we went into the house for ice-cream cones (sugar cones to be exact).  The entire night, everyone talked about how much fun they were having and how it was a great idea. I beamed, knowing it would be a memory worth keeping.  A new family tradition for sure!!

So in comes the mystery jar.  Another fabulous idea from my $10 book.  Here is my mystery jar (A simple mason jar. Hope to find something a little more exciting. But for now, the mason jar will do. I also plan to find a better place to put it. Coffee station, not ideal ).


 
 
I thought of Mystery Jar Monday.  Then realized that Friday would be better.  After thinking about it, I settled on, Mystery Jar _______ (fill in the blank). The idea of the mystery jar is to put a note in with a special surprise for the day!!  The book gave the idea of "fruit sticks in the freezer." First of all, what is a fruit stick?  Anyway, another idea was, "count the doorknobs in the house." I don't know about you, but that is boooorrrrring.  So I came up with my own!
 
How about fruit snacks in the freezer
Freshly baked cookies in the cookie jar
Special Popsicles in the freezer
A trip to Sweet Tooth (Candy, ice-cream shop)
Trip to the library
Park
Bookstore
Picnic at the river
Nighttime picnic
Stargazing
Mother/Daughter or Father/ Daughter Day
Board game night
Movie night (with popcorn, of course)
Movie theater
New coloring book or journal book (hide them and have them hunt for them using clues)
Go to Dairy Queen for a treat and then go for a drive
Restaurant night
Restaurant night at home (themed background music)
Story time (for the whole family)
Family walk in the neighborhood
Surprise field trip
Trip to the city
Etc.!
 
I love the idea! This Mystery Jar can continue with its mysteries during the school year as well!  I imagine my girls rushing to see what the mystery jar holds for the day! I imagine my girls loving the tradition so much that they too keep the mystery jar tradition for their family.
 
If you feel your summer needs a little more excitement, I suggest you start a mystery jar, or mystery box and create some lasting memories!
 
One more thing, if you find yourself at a bookstore and happen to come across a great idea book...PICK IT UP!  Especially if it's ten dollars!
 
(More ideas to come in Kids Korner)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment