Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Spiritual Nugget

I woke later than usual this morning.  It was almost eight o'clock when I decided to climb out of bed and go for a walk.  Before leaving the house I was greeted by this:





I was going to move the blue towel out of the way because I thought it looked messy and then realized that was the point of the photo.
 
 
 
Last night's mess remained.  Don't you wish you could wake up the next morning with a clean house without having to clean it yourself?  Yes, I vote for a cleaning fairy!
 
Normally, I would get all this picked up before starting anything else and vow to not retire for the night without cleaning up first.  But I confess, I was so tired last night and drifted off to sleep in Steve's lap before calling it a night.
 
Not wanting my messy house to keep me from my walk, I lace up my shoes and head out the door.  I usually enjoy listening to music on my walks, but what I really enjoy the most, is silence.  I enjoy talking to God and sharing my hopes, dreams, concerns and worries with him.  There is no amount of peace I have found to compare (except perhaps taking to him on the porch). It was a great walk.
 
I hobbled into the kitchen and got my coffee started and debated over what I would bring with me to the porch.  Do I bring my Bible, a novel that I picked up from the library, or do I bring lesson planning items (getting ready for homeschooling again)?  There was this guilty feeling over me, maybe conviction or obligation, so I settled on the Bible. (Conviction is always good)
 
 
I said to myself, "just find a verse and meditate on it.  You don't have to spend all morning reading the Bible."  When I read my Bible and I come across a verse that really hits home, I tag the page with an index card. Most of the time verses that are already highlighted grab my attention; that was the case this morning.
 
"Be very careful, then how you live-not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. " Ephesians 5:15-17
 
I feel as though I could just leave it at that. 
 
I wrote the verse on an index card and meditated on it a bit.  Be careful how you live. Be wise and not unwise. All very straight forward.  The part I really love is this, "making the most of every opportunity."  Doesn't that sound refreshing? The God of all things wants us to make the most out of every opportunity.  When He designed us, he didn't have mediocrity in mind.  He created us to be great! He created us to take life's opportunities and make the most of them!  What are those opportunities?  To share the gospel of Jesus?  To be a champion role model to your children? To be a role model for your community or church?  To offer your help to the elderly?  Are you a teacher?  Do you make the most of your opportunity to be a GREAT teacher?  Are you a runner?  Do you take the opportunity to be the BEST runner you have ever been?  Are you a stay-at-home mommy?  Do you make the most out of your opportunity to be at home, running it to near PERFECTION? Okay, maybe not that last one... 
 
What opportunities are presenting themselves to you?  Whatever they are, make the most of them! These words are not my own, but the words of your Creator.  Get up! Live carefully. Be wise.  Most importantly, above all else, understand what the Lord's will is, when you understand His will, then you can really make the most out of all those opportunities!
 
I practiced a bit of this verse already today.  I had the opportunity to take this nugget and relish in it all by myself.  But instead, I made the most of the opportunity by sharing it with you (on this blog. A blog that allows me the opportunity to write; something I really do enjoy doing, but not always motivated to do.)! 
 
What will your opportunities be today? Will you give yourself permission to make the most out of them?  God does!



Okay, better go clean up now... 

No comments:

Post a Comment