Alexa's alarm blared and it seemed all hell broke loose. Just one of those mornings when you wonder if it's true, you know what they say about boys, that boys are easier. My Lexa is a good girl. I would never hope for anything other than who she is. It seems right now, at age thirteen, we are all learning "who she is." It's the age when kids are searching for their identity. Who they are at home may be different from who they are outside the home. Kind and friendly to strangers, but an emotional time bomb at home. It's ever changing. Day to day it's changing. One day she is listening to music that makes this Mama proud, other times it's music that makes me question. My question: Where did my little girl go?
Maybe you and I are in the same boat. Maybe you got off that boat years ago. Or perhaps that boat has not arrived yet. Who REALLY gets through these years unscathed?
Here are a couple of excerpts from Dr. Dobson Child Care book:
...adolescents are fervently searching for a clear sense of identity. Whatever the guise or getup, the questions they continually ask boil down to these: "Who cares about me?" and "What can I do that has any significance?"
Indeed, the years to come may at times feel like a canoe trip down a mountain river. The scenery is constantly changing; the ride is always interesting and often pleasant; but choppy waters, roaring rapids and an occasional waterfall may await you around the next bend. Your job will be to stabilize the family canoe as much as possible, and by all means, prevent it from turning over before your adolescent reaches calmer waters of adulthood. Dr. James Dobson has aptly stated that "parenting isn't for cowards," and the coming years may well serve up the greatest tests of your parental fortiftude."
Oh, yippee! Before I get on my treadmill, I will leave you with this: I really don't think boys are easier. I think scenarios are different among the sexes, but still challenging no matter the gender. In some ways, I want my kids to challenge me. I really did say that. You see, if they challenge me, I could dish out all my experience and wisdom, bless them with it all and have faith that one day mom's ringing truth will echo loudly when they are treading along as an adult. And all the while, pray, pray and PRAY.
I plan on sharing more information about these adolescent years as I absorb more from experts and find things worth sharing.
Maybe you're on the same canoe ride. Just so you know, you are not alone. When a less than perfect day with your teen shows itself, remember your own floundering as a teen. Remember your own outbursts. Remember your own choice in friends, clothes, music, boys/girls, movies, books, etc. etc. Then maybe you can look your teen in the face and realize that they are NOT some strange creation from another planet. Maybe they are just like you were at this age; an individual finding independence in a less than perfect world.
My daughter is being molded today and every day. I have made some monumental mistakes in parenting her, but thankfully we serve a loving God who makes much effort in forming us into His likeness. My biggest hope for my daughter is that she will be used by God to bring hope to others.
I should mention that our argument this morning was about what to pack for lunch...sigh. There really are bigger worries. Cheers to those with teenagers!



mine is '13' and yes I so am in that boat!!!!!
ReplyDeletei decided to admit I am a horrible parent and just walk in that. Daily i say
"Lord he is your mess to fix"
but yes every now and then i get that glimmer of hope that says, 'wait I did do something right".
Will we ever survive these years??? well if not - at least my memorial service is already planned - lol
enjoy your day!!!!
lol!! We will survive these years. It could be worse, they could be treading this journey alone. Love and Blessings
ReplyDeleteStop talking about your memorial service, it's creeping me out. ;)lol!