Tuesday, May 4, 2010

AN ONLY CHILD

These past few days I've been thinking about the past twelve years. Gulp...here comes the waterworks. I struggle for words to describe how I'm feeling. Our world is about to change. And although we took this into consideration we still have a life we need to say good-bye to. The first twelve years of Alexa's life will always be ours to remember. We look forward to the next chapter in our life story.

Alexa has been extremely excited about having a little sister. Just this morning before school she told me that she wanted "Aleyah" here now. I told her to be patient and to focus on finishing up the school year...only a few weeks left. I reminded her that we could potentially be flying to Ethiopia next month. I could see some emotion welling up in her and I gave her a hug and told her she was my best girl. She quickly said, "Mom, you can't say that anymore." I said, "I know. You're my best girl in America." She smiled which told me that was okay to say. My only girl's world is about to change drastically. This realization prompted me to gather some photos and create a montage focused on her first twelve years. In doing so, I realized that our world and our purpose this far has been entirely for Al. If you are a parent, you know exactly what I mean by that. If you're not, you probably have a pretty good idea of what I mean.

Even though my little girl is growing up quickly, I look forward to what her lifesong will be. Alexa is very caring for others. She is an advocate for the "loners" she comes across. She was sharing with us an experience she had at school. There is a boy in her grade that is picked on mercilessly. Alexa found herself laughing along until her heart started hurting. We talked about the brutality of kids and she didn't want to be a part of it. So she decided to stand up for the weak. One particular incident a girl was teasing this kid and Alexa said, "Leave him alone, what has he done to you?" This girl gave Alexa the evil eye and said, "If you're gonna be that way, don't talk to me." It certainly left Alexa in an awkward position. Even so, she honestly didn't care. A few days had passed and she saw a first grader in the playground at school playing alone. Alexa noticed the other girls were being mean to this girl. Alexa walked over to her and started a friendly conversation. The little girl asked Alexa if she wanted to draw with chalk. Alexa did. The next day the little girl was looking for Alexa so they could draw together. What is so precious to me was how Alexa began looking for her. She told me, "Mom, this little girl is so cute, she's a little hyper, but too cute."

I think God is preparing Alexa to sympathize with the outcasts. I often wonder if it is because Aleyah will need an advocate of her own. Whatever the reason, with all her flaws and mistakes, I love my little Bug. It's no surprise that Alexa means "helper of mankind."

I just thought I'd give Alexa the spotlight one last time before it gets snuffed out for awhile. I did say for awhile, Alexa's light is too bright. I love my Little Bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment