Tuesday, March 2, 2010

How it all started


It started off as just another typical Sunday. Steve and I sat in church while Alexa attended Sunday School. The message that morning was about "paying it forward" so to speak. Our pastor told of the importance of giving to others if you were in a position to help someone out. We listened intently. I thought of reaching a point in life where Steve and I could somehow "pay it forward" one day.

Towards the end of the message a video was played. In this video a couple shared how their hearts were ready to adopt a child, but their finances left them in a precarious position. A couple from their church, who they did not know, approached them on the street and started up a lighthearted conversation. The topic of adoption came up and shortly after they parted ways. A few days later, this older couple paid a visit with the adoptee hopefuls and asked about their debt. The younger couple told them they had about ten thousand dollars worth of debt and were getting out of it slowly. This older couple took out their checkbook and wrote a check in the amount of $10,000 to help this couple make their dream a reality.

The service ended and we went on our way to Chili's for lunch. We sat there quiet, all three of us, and just pondered our own thoughts. I couldn't stop thinking about that story, not so much about the couple who helped out, but about the little girl that this couple was finally able to bring into their home. The silence ended when Steve announced, "I've been thinking seriously about adopting." Did I just hear that correctly?? I felt my pulse race a bit and said, "That is just weird, I was thinking that too." Alexa piped in from the backseat and said, "yea, let's adopt!" That was even "weirder" because Alexa, as some may know, was always completely content on being the only child. She would cry with anxiety every time we joked about being "pregnant." Don't know why we did that. We thought her reaction was quite funny and we would pull this prank at least once a year. hehehe! During that same drive we decided that we would like to adopt a little girl. Didn't know from where or how old exactly, just that we wanted a sister for Lex. That may not seem so miraculous to some, but in some ways it is. For one, Steve and I only wanted one child and we wanted that child to be a girl. Steve had a vasectomy when Al was two years old because we were certain we would always be a family of three! Eleven years later, Alexa desperately wants a sister and we desperately want another daughter! The three of us on the same page on the same day...Miraculous!

To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment