Tuesday, March 9, 2010

WOW! I woke up at 2:30 a.m. and could not get back to sleep. I hate when that happens. I tossed and turned for an hour and a half before I convinced myself it wasn't gonna happen. I surrendered, got out of bed and read. Seriously, what else is there to do besides read? I went back to bed at 4:30 a.m. and still tossed and turned. Steve's alarm sounded and he awoke to face his day. I must have finally fell asleep at around 5:30 but my alarm faithfully sounded at 6:30! Just one of those nights.



I feel like I have thrown so much out there about this exciting adventure. I do have a confession to make though. I wasn't going to follow through with this adoption blog. My very first entry was going to be my last. Steve had no idea that I was even doing a blog until I told him I made a blog but I wasn't going to do it. He said,"Why not?" I felt like no one would really be interested. It seemed a little self-indulgent. Everybody is busy with there own life and all the events going on with their own families, why would anyone care about what is going on with us? But Steve convinced me that it was a great way to journal my thoughts for us. So me, being the sentimental person that I am, typed away. I'm so glad I did. I found out that Blogger.com will bind your blog in a book for a small fee. I thought that would be a great keepsake for us! If you like to journal, you should think about creating a blog! Besides, I feel so lonely here. It is easy to set one up.... Okay, enough about that.



Money....We knew money was going to be our biggest hurdle. So I thought, 'I need to get a job.' There is not a whole lot to do here in my town. I haven't worked in over eight years and I felt that I just didn't have any skills. The one thing that I truly enjoy and think I'm half way decent at was teaching young pre-schoolers. Not so glamorous, I know. But that has always been a passion of mine. I love those little people! Steve, however, didn't feel comfortable with me getting a job outside of the home. We felt strongly about me being available for Alexa after school. But I knew I wanted to contribute in some way.



There was an ad in the paper for a teacher's aide at one of the schools here in town. It was a part-time position and I thought I had a good chance. I had experience working with children at various places. Not only did I work as a pre-school teacher for eleven years, but I also taught Sunday School, I was a Girl Scout leader at one time and a Vacation Bible School Crew Leader. They would for sure see that I love kids! I sent a resume highlighting everything I shared with you and waited for a call. Obviously, they never called. Did you know I was going to say that?? Now what?



I decided I would give baby-sitting a try. I know, again, not so glamorous. I didn't want to put an ad in the paper though. Instead I called my church and some other ladies who were already babysitting and told them that I would be available if anyone had a need. I waited anxiously for someone to call me. Didn't people need babysitters?? I continued to wait, and of course prayed for someone to call. I finally got a call from a woman who literally talked to me for an hour on the phone! Toward the end of our conversation she asked me what I charged. Being new to this I gave her a price and felt good about my offer. We decided to meet at my house. This family was great! They seemed to like me as well. I gave them a tour of the house and showed them our very 'busy' playroom. That means messy in case you were wondering what 'busy' meant. I tend to have a lot of 'busy' rooms. hehehe. Although this couple liked my offer they knew that it wasn't enough. I didn't know what the going rate was. I just wanted a little extra money to help out with the little extras coming our way. They told me that they would feel more comfortable paying me more. Another Jesus moment and another stone in my jar! (Clink)



This money did come in handy. I was able to pay for all of Alexa's expenses for dance. She was already committed to a Dance Company before we decided to adopt. It felt great to help with that, along with school shopping, birthdays and Christmas! Later that year, another family needed a sitter! Even though it was temporary, it really was a big help! Not only was it helpful financially, but it also reminded me what it's like to have a little one in the house again!



Below are pictures of the little guys I was blessed enough to have in my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment