Derartu (presently named Derartu Stephen Rain) was born on Sep. 21, 2006 in Gedeo, Ethiopia. Derartu's mother is deceased and her father could not provide for her basic needs due to poverty. Derartu was placed in an orphanage where she stayed temporarily until she was transferred to Hannah's Hope in February. On March 12, 2010 our caseworker called us with photos and information about Derartu. We accepted the referral and proceeded to legally make her ours. On April 23, 2010, Derartu's father appeared in court before a judge, and I'm sure with a heavy heart, relinquished her to our family. For the past year and a half we have referred to this "unknown" child as Aleyah. We intend to give her the name Aleyah (ascender) in addition to Derartu. Derartu will then have the option to be called what she so wishes. I hope that puts to rest the critical opinions on name changing.
We are in constant amazement by this journey God has called us to. We continue to grow closer as a family and grow closer to our Lord and Savior. This process has revealed to us more clearly our own adoption into God's family.
Steve and I have two daughters now, that reality just brings tears to my eyes. I always told myself and others I only wanted one child. God obviously knows me better than I do.
~Sometimes on the way to a dream you get lost and find a better one.~ Anonymous
No comments:
Post a Comment