Track and Field
So in between all the adoption "stuff," life continues. Alexa enjoyed spring break even though we didn't have anything planned. She did however have track practice during her break. She didn't seem to mind. Alexa had her first track meet on Monday. She was both excited and nervous. It was quite an experience because the sixth graders had to compete with seventh graders at this particular meet. Alexa, being a sixth grader, was a bit uncertain about her races. She raced the 4x200 as the anchor leg. Although she made up some distance, Saratoga ended up coming in third place. She was exhausted and was about to exit the field when her next race was announced! She was able to catch her breath during another race and was back on the track soon after. Steve and I were feeling sorry for her because we knew her legs had to be burning. The gun fired and she was off again running the 200 meter! That is one full lap at full speed! It was hard to know who was in the lead because they start off staggered. Once the runners turned the last corner we were able to see our little Bug was in first place!! We were screaming so loud, cheering her on to push hard because another runner was literally one step behind her and getting closer! Alexa passed us and we could see she was running out of gas. It was too close to call at the finish line. Who placed what?? We saw two coaches approach her and knew they were giving her her time. We, along with other parents in the stand, were wondering what the outcome was. Alexa exited the track and slowly made her way up the stands. People were congratulating her as she passed. The poor thing looked tired. She came over to where we were sitting and I just had to know. "We couldn't see from here, what did you place?" Through her heavy breaths she held up one finger......How does a parent contain their excitement!!!!!!!!!!! We tried to keep our cool and I think we did quite well, but both Steve and I couldn't really speak afterward due to the big lump in our throat. It was very exciting!! So her first experience running was a good one.
Unfortunately, the perfectionist in her was not happy with her long jump event. She came in last. Her recent success with the 200 was overshadowed by long jump. :( We reminded her that she was jumping against very tall and "leggy" seventh graders. That didn't seem to make a difference, she was still very disappointed. She said she didn't know why her coach talked her into long jump. I reminded her that she didn't have to do long jump if she didn't want to. She said, "Maybe next year when I'm taller." So we left it at that. We had an unhappy child on the way home until we talked more about the race she had won. Life was good again......
The next day after school she came home and told me that she decided to continue with the long jump. Her coach reminded her that it would be good practice and good preparation for next year. So she was talked into it again!! We will continue to cheer her on, but we made it very clear, no sour faces! She had a very good attitude about it. She said, "I know I'm not going to win, but I want to participate in as many events as possible. Long jump is the only other event I'm decent at. I stink at shot put and high jump." Spoken like a true realist!
No comments:
Post a Comment